Welcome to Mrs. Poorman's Website!STEM in ACTION! Agriculture Education brings relevance to real world issues related to agriculture and the environment. Students come out of the classes with the knowledge and skills they need to reach their own goals and to change the world!
As our population grows, so does the need for better quality food and sustainable resources. But, how do you do that on less fertile land? Take a class and find out how agriculture relates to your life and why sustainable agriculture should be important to you!
Each class is designed to meet the needs and interests of the students as well as to prepare them to become responsible citizens in their communities. The courses integrate core standards from Science, English, and Math and students gain hands-on experience with real-world application.
The Agriculture Program increases awareness of the need for agricultural literacy. It is Mrs. Poorman's goal to give students many diverse experiences and to show them opportunities in the agricultural industry that they didn't know existed.
*Depending on the courses taken, college credit can be earned. If you are interested in this option, you must speak with Mrs. Poorman.
Courses Available:*Please visit the Course Description Guide under the School Counseling website for course descriptions.Pre-Vet SciencePlant Science and BiotechnologyAgricultural SustainabilityLandscape and HorticultureField to TableAgricultureAg MechanicsScience and Literature *co-taught courseIndependent Study/SAE (Supervised Agricultural Experience)*Please click on the Syllabi tab (on the left) for each individual course syllabus.
Bellefonte FFA chapter of The National FFA Organization, AdvisorFFA is committed to the individual student, providing a path to achievement in premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education. Today, the organization is expanding the nation's view of "traditional" agriculture and finding new ways to infuse agriculture into the classroom.
FFA is dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education.
To accomplish its mission, FFA:
"Agriculture is not just about the farmers who grow food but those who process, package, market and sell the products as well...By showing young people all the opportunities available in the agriculture industry, we may open doors for them they didn't even know existed."
- Develops competent and assertive agricultural leadership.
- Increases awareness of the global and technological importance of agriculture and its contribution to our well-being.
- Strengthens the confidence of agriculture students in themselves and their work.
- Promotes the intelligent choice and establishment of an agricultural career.
- Encourages achievement in supervised agricultural experience programs.
- Encourages wise management of economic, environmental and human resources of the community.
- Develops interpersonal skills in teamwork, communications, human relations and social interaction.
- Builds character and promotes citizenship, volunteerism and patriotism.
- Promotes cooperation and cooperative attitudes among all people.
- Promotes healthy lifestyles.
- Encourages excellence in scholarship.