• Letters and Documents 


    November 22, 1864.


    CAPTAIN: I have the honor to report the following operations of my command on the 19th day of October, 1864, at the battle of Cedar Creek, Va.:

      While the troops were sleeping that memorable morning, and just before daylight, the enemy attacked the extreme left of our lines and became heavily engaged with Crook's command on the front and flank The sound of cannon and musketry soon brought all hands to their posts, and in obedience to orders immediately afterward received from brigade headquarters the men were formed into line and arms stacked in readiness for any emergency; shortly after tents were struck and everything packed up by orders from the same authority. The regiment, after marching and countermarching with the division, finally got a position, with the Ninth New York Artillery on the right and the One hundred and eighty-fourth New York Infantry on the left. The stragglers and scattered remnants of Crook's and some of Emory's commands now came rushing through our lines, and the rebels became numerous in our front. The engagement with our lines opened sharply and an advance was made for a short distance, but the withdrawal of other portions of the line made it necessary for us to do likewise. About 9 o'clock the whole line retired a distance of some three-quarters of a mile, when a respectable line was established behind a stone wall. We remained there about an hour when the entire line fell back about a mile, just beyond Middletown. An advance was made a short distance and a new and tolerably strong line formed in a woods to the northwest of the town. Rail and other temporary works were thrown up by the troops, and this regiment, with the One hundred and tenth Ohio, was placed upon the picket-line, commanded by Lieut. Col. O. H. Binkley. The firing on the skirmish like was kept up briskly, with a few casualties as a consequence in my regiment. About3 p.m. our lines advanced and after the skirmish line had been passed both regiments were ordered to join the advancing column, which they did as speedily as possible. Our lines suffered a temporary check and we remained in one position about half an hour, when another general advance was made and the rebels were driven in confusion from our front. The pursuit was kept up until our old camping-grounds were reached, and afterward by the cavalry with glorious results.


    My regiment sustained the following casualties in the day's engagement: Commissioned officers wounded, 4; enlisted men killed, 2; enlisted men wounded, 36; total, 42.


    First Lieut. J. A. Clump, acting assistant adjutant-general on the staff of the brigade commander, and Lieut. Samuel W. Cloward, Company C, were seriously wounded and have since died from their injuries. Both these officers are much lamented and their memory will be respected by the entire regiment.

      Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


    Major, Commanding Regiment


    Capt. J. T. ROGER,.

    Actg. Asst. Adjt.Gen.,2d Brig., 3d Div., 6th Army Corps

    Death of Two Soldiers

    We announce with regret the death of William J. Walker, of Bendersville, and David Stoner, Of Mummasburg, members of Capt. Walter's Company, 138th Regiment, now on duty at the Relay House, between Baltimore and Washington.
    Mr. Walker died on Monday, and his remains arrived here on Wednesday and were taken in charge by the friends. He leaves a wife and small family, who were dependent on him for support.. His age was 41 years.

    Mr. Stoner's remains arrived on Thursday, and were also taken in charge by friends. He was aged 21 years and 19 days. Both died of typhoid fever, near the same time. Therer were good soldiers and much esteemed by all who knew them.  - Gettysburg Complier November 17,1862

    Accounts of the Death of A.P. Hill

    The Baltimore American, of May 29, 1892, in a long article describing how General Hill was killed, reproduces the account of his courier, Sergeant Tucker, (*) and also a statement from Corporal John W. Mauk, of Company F, One-Hundred-and-Thirty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry, who claims that he fired the fatal shot, and who, at the time, was in company with Private Daniel Wolford, of the same company. Mauk's statement is as follows:

    On the morning of the 2d of April, 1865, after the rebel works had been carried in the front, the main portion of the troops deployed to the left inside the enemy's works. A portion of the Second Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, became separated from the main body, and pushed forward to the railroad and a wagon road, running parallel with each other.

    Comrade Daniel Wolford and myself, of Company F, One-Hundred-and-Thirty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, reached this point.

    We came to a saw-mill just across the railroad, and close to it, under a slab-pile near the track, we found some crow-bars, with which we tore up two rails of the track. Previous to this, however, we who were separated from the others saw a wagon-train passing along and advanced, firing on it, expecting to capture it. This accounts for our advancing in this direction.

    After tearing up the track we went obliquely to the left from the railroad, in the direction of a swamp about a half or three-quarters of a mile from the saw-mill, which we had passed to the right when firing on the train, and going in the direction of the railroad.

    Here we attempted to cross back on the Corduroy road, which led through the swamp toward a body of our men on the hill near the former line of the rebel works. These men were stragglers who had been lost from their commands, and were making coffee and eating breakfast. Just as we entered the swamp we saw two men on horseback coming from the direction of Petersburg, who had the appearance of officers. They advanced until they came to the men on the hill; they then turned and rode toward us. We had just entered the swamp, when they advanced with cocked revolvers in their hands, which were leveled at us. Seeing a large oak tree close to the road, we took it for protection against any movement they would be likely to make. Seemingly by direction of his superior, one of the rebel officers remained behind. The other advanced with his revolver pointed at us, and demanded our surrender, saying, "Surrender, or I will shoot you. A body of troops are advancing on our left (i.e., from the direction of Petersburg), and you will have to surrender, anyway!" The officer still advanced and peremptorily demanded, "Surrender your arms." I said "I could not see it," and said to Comrade Wolford, "Let us shoot them."

    We immediately raised our guns and fired, I bringing my man from his saddle.

    The other officer, throwing himself forward on the horse's neck, rode off in the direction from which they had come, while the horse of the other followed. We knowing not what was on our flank, and not being able to see in that direction, backed out and went farther down the swamp, and crossed to the men on the hill.

    Shortly afterwards I told Comrade Wolford that I would go and see what the officer had with him. I went a short distance, and saw what I took to be a skirmish line advancing. I went back and got part of the men on the hill--perhaps ten or fifteen--and deployed them as skirmishers for self defence. The advancing line came within hailing distance. I ordered them to halt, which they did. Then I said: "Throw up your arms, advance, and give an account of yourselves."

    On being questioned they said they had captured some rebel prisoners, and were taking them to the rear. Six or eight were carrying guns and were dressed in our uniform. About that many were without guns, and wore rebel uniforms. I took their word and let them go. Turning round they asked me if a man had been killed near there. I told them I had killed an officer in the swamp. They went off in that direction. I had no suspicions at the time, but afterward thought this was a Confederate ruse to get the body of the man I had just killed. Comrade Wolford and myself shortly after this joined our regiment, and nothing more was thought of the affair until summoned to brigade and corps headquarters to answer questions.

    After I had given a statement of the affair General Wright asked me if I knew whom I had killed. I told him that I did not. He said: "You have killed General A. P. Hill, of the Confederate army."

    All this occurred on the morning after the rebel works had been carried, on the 2d of April, 1865.