Back-to-back District 6 titles for girls’ swim team
For the second year in a row, the girls’ swim team from Bellefonte Area High School claimed the District 6 Class 2A championship. This is the first time in school history that the girls have won back-to-back titles, according to coach Tony Edmondson.
“Our girls winning back-to-back district team championships means the world to the girls,” Edmondson said. “Multiple team championships was a goal they set last season and I knew with their work ethic and drive to be the best, they would achieve that goal. I am sure a three-peat is the primary focus for next season, as well. I am so proud of these girls and to see them dominate the district meet after such an exhausting season, is something they should cherish for a long time.”
The boys’ team also finished fourth at districts, with four swimmers who Edmondson said “made a big impact on team standings.”
“The Top 3 teams averaged nine swimmers, compared to our four,” he said. “Between the boys and girls, every single swim at districts scored points and I am not sure that has ever been done at Bellefonte before."
Kiaha McCool ended with three district and four school records in the 200-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle, 100-meter backstroke and 400-meter freestyle relay races. She was part of a relay team with Kate Rarrick, Katelyn Packer and Addie Pringle.
More Top 3 results
- Kaiha McCool: Second place in 100-meter backstroke with a record setting 57.13 seconds
- Finley Musser: Third place in 100-meter backstroke
- Addie Pringle: Second place in 100-meter freestyle
- Kate Rarrick: First place in 500-meter freestyle
- Girls’ 400-meter freestyle relay placed first with a school record time of 3:45:02 minutes
- Boys’ 400-meter freestyle relay placed third with swimmers Cedric Bagwell, Carter Boone, Jaydon Malinich and Jacob Skrzycki
*By Brit Milazzo, public relations director, BASD. To see a list of Bellefonte Area swimmers who made it to states, visit this link: State qualifiers