Fedisson discusses new graduation pathway for students
At a school board meeting Nov. 16, Bellefonte Area High School Principal Mike Fedisson presented information to the board of directors regarding Act 158, which outlines a new graduation pathway for students starting with the Class of 2023. Fedisson also sent out information to affected families via a video.
The act was originally passed in 2018, but its rollout was postponed by the state due to the pandemic, and is an addition to the school’s already-implemented requirements. Act 158 includes five pathways a student may take to meet proficiency requirements in three Keystone areas such as Algebra 1, literature and biology.
Those pathways are:
- Earn a score of proficient or advanced on all three Keystone Exams
- Earn a passing composite score on the Keystone exams
- CTE (Career and Technical Education) Concentrator Pathway
- Alternate Assessment Pathway
- Evidence-Based Pathway
Please click on the pathway to see more information regarding that option.
To learn more, visit this link: New graduation pathway. You may also see a brief Q&A, here: Q&A
*By Brit Milazzo, public relations director, BASD
Other board information
There were no public comments
To see additional board notes, visit this link: Board notes
- Approval of interns and volunteers
- Approval of the comprehensive plan for the district and its schools. See more, here: Comprehensive plan
- Approval of new employees/positions
- Christina Ohs as a long-term substitute for third grade teacher at Pleasant Gap Elementary School
- Transfer of Chris Cipro from the position of fifth-grade teacher at Marion-Walker Elementary School to the position of math intervention specialist
- Jeffrey Baker as substitute coordinator at central office
- Budget calendar presentation with Director of Fiscal Affairs Ken Bean. See information, here: Budget calendar
- Donations approved
- 37 pairs of holiday socks for the Holiday Shop at Bellefonte Elementary from David and Pamela Perry
- Clothing for the health room at Bellefonte Elementary School from St. John's United Church of Christ
- Items for the Bellefonte Elementary PTO Holiday Shop from families and community members
- Indoor track and field club approved for the winter of 2021-22
- Job description of high school principal
- Legislative report with board member Donna Smith
- Presentation about new high school course called short story studies
- Several policy presentations. Please see the board minutes for more information.