During the COVID-19 school closure, many teachers are looking for ways to maintain connections with their students and to communicate using video.
- Students begin using Classroom in kindergarten and are familiar with how it works.
- Classroom works best if students sign in to their BASD Chromebooks. When they sign in to their Chromebook, they are signed in to Classroom.
- Students can sign in to Classroom using a personal device at https://classroom.google.com/u/0/h. Students can use the free Classroom app on mobile devices.
- Many students will need help with entering their email address since it is saved on their Chromebooks. Teachers can see the student logins in PowerSchool. The email address is the login followed by @basd.net.
- The password to sign in is the password that students use every day to sign in to their Chromebook at school.
- This document provides step-by-step directions for signing in from home.
- <-- Click the Google Classroom link on the left menu of this page to find directions, tutorials, and helpful videos.
- Take a look at 10 Google Classroom Tips for Remote Learning from Shake Up Learning
- Google Meet can be used to host video chats and to live stream video.
- Your BASD Google login gives you access to Hangouts Meet.
- <-- Click the Google Meet link from the left menu for directions, tutorials, and answers to frequently asked questions.
Remote Learning Best Practices and Training
- Read through 6 Strategies for Successful Distance Learning and 8 Tips for Online Student Engagement
- Online Teaching Best Practices, Tips & Tools from Shake Up Learning
- Visit this site from the EdTechTeam for webinars and recordings. Topics include: G Suite for Remote Learning in K-3, Best Practices for Remote Learning, How to Engage Students During Remote Learning, How to Assess Your Students Remotely, How to Reach Student with Synchronous and Asynchronous Lessons and Classroom Management in the Remote Learning Age
- Teach from Home - tutorials and videos with strategies and best practices for remote learning with Classroom, Meet, and G Suite tools.
- Teachers who use these apps already have a safe and secure way to share information and videos with students. If students sign in from home, they can send messages and videos to their teachers.
- If parents were invited to join the class at the beginning of the school year, parents already have access and do not need to download, install, or learn any new apps.
Recording Videos with Screencastify
- Screencastify is a free extension that can be used to record and edit videos.
- It can be used by both teachers and students (already installed for all BASD student Google accounts).
- Go to https://www.screencastify.com/ to install the extension and for helpful directions and tutorials.
- Access to "unlimited" features (recordings longer than 5 minutes, access to the video editor, no watermark) has been purchased for all basd.net accounts.
- During setup, use the option to save videos to Google Drive and be sure to give permission to allow the use of your camera and microphone.
Sharing Videos with YouTube
- Use your BASD email address to sign in to YouTube and create a channel.
- Record videos directly to YouTube using your laptop or the YouTube app on your phone.
- You can also use Screencastify or any other recording app to record videos and then upload them to your channel.
- Choose who can view your videos. Public = anyone can find and view. Unlisted = Only people with the link can view. Private = Only you can view.
- YouTube videos can be shared with students through Google Classroom and on your teacher web page. If you teach secondary students, you can email links to students.
- Flipgrid provides a safe way for teachers to share videos and for students to record videos that can be viewed by their classmates. Teachers can require approval before videos are published.
- From home, students will need to sign into Flipgrid using their BASD email address and Google password. Students 13 and over can install the app on their mobile device.
- Check out this page from Flipgrid for directions for how to get started in five minutes and tips for engaging students.
- Free professional development sessions from Flipgrid (live sessions and self-paced course)