This course combines the history of film music in general with the purpose of gaining an understanding of the role of music in a film, observing various approaches to how music is used in a film, and examining how music interacts with other elements in the soundtrack (dialogue, sound effects) that accompany the visual aspect of the film to create a compelling work of art. Students will learn how music affects how we perceive a moving picture, and will be able to watch movies with a new understanding of how the picture and soundtrack combine. By the time you finish the class, you will have a greater appreciation for what goes into making a motion picture!
Students will be able to:
- Recognize techniques of film and associated terminology;
- Recognize cultural codes of film music;
- Recognize the history of Hollywood filmmaking (historical eras, film genres);
- Recognize as well as interpret principles and functions of film music;
- Identify selected films, directors, composers;
- Identify, interpret, and transcribe important musical motives and themes;
- Analyze and interpret the role of music of music in a given scene, and ultimately in a given film.
- Film Terminology
- Basic music theory and terminology
- Viewing films and analyzing how the soundtrack works with the picture
- Learning about the history of film music from opera through today