Westling team has successful season, makes history
The 2018-19 wrestling team had a successful season, bringing members to district championships and being well-represented at PIAA state finals. They were led by Coach Mike Maney who was named District 6 Class 3A Coach of the Year.
- Mountain League champions;
- Ended second in the district;
- Four wrestlers were District 6 Class 3A champions: Kyle Myers, Ethan Richner, Ryan Smith and Cole Stewart;
- Team had 11 regional qualifiers. Lane Aikey and Richner were regional champions. Ethan Rossman and Steward took third place;
- Team took third overall in the Northwest Regional tournament;
- Team placed third at the Virginia duals;
- Aikey, Richner, Rossman and Stewart qualified for the PIAA state finals. Richner placed sixth at states;
- Aikey, Richner and Rossman were also named Big 7 All-Stars;
- Alex Coppolo, Richner and Rossman were Mountain League All-Stars.
This season’s overall record was 20-4 – making it the second time in school history to reach 20 wins in a season. They were also last Mountain League champions in 1992 and 2017, and the team ended the season with an overall cumulative academic score of 88.15 percent.