School board members, superintendent donate to capital campaign
At Bellefonte Area School District’s board meeting on March 12, a check was presented for the capital campaign on behalf of the nine-member school board and Superintendent Michelle Saylor. It’s part of a combined donation to show their commitment to the effort in raising money for the campaign that will partially fund Rogers Stadium renovations and construction, without using taxpayer dollars to do so.
“In order to maintain the momentum we have and illustrate the board's commitment to what we’re doing, the board collectively agreed to come together to do a combined donation,” board member Jeff Steiner said.
They collectively donated $1,000.
The about $7.5 million project is being funded by two state grants and funds available in district reserves. That leaves the district about $1.1 million short, allowing a capital campaign to be established to help raise the remainder of that money to complete the final phase of the project.
Bob Lumley-Sapanski, board vice president and chairman of the Capital Campaign Committee, said they have gained about $440,000 in pledges. Currently, there is about half of that in the capital campaign bank.
*By Brit Milazzo, public relations director, BASD
Other board news
- Agreement with Weis Markets to use nearby field for district athletic events. See a map, here.
- Appointment of Deb Moore to the position of athletic director.
- Approval of district interns and volunteers.
- Presenation made by district Director of Physical Plant Aaron Barto on the estimated budget costs for Governor's Park facility improvements for baseball use, and its order-of-importance list.
- Revised calendar and a summary of changes.
- Rogers Stadium bid update for general construction and related information.
- School board president's report with Mr. Guizar.
- Student trip to the British Isles in 2020. See the proposal, here.
- 2019-20 calendar, description and extended Tuesday information