BASD Faculty/Staff Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I enter an absence in SAMS?
Click on Absence Quick Start Guide for step-by-step instructions on how to create an
absence. Absences must be created before the absence is taken and must be in SAMS by
6:45 AM. If you miss the 6:45 AM deadline, you must call 1-866-KELLY-98.
Changes to absences already entered must be called in to 1-866-KELLY-98 or by emailing
Click on Absence Reason Guide for information regarding Absence Reason selection.
**Please note - SAMS and Employee Portal do not communicate real time. Absences are
transferred weekly. Each Monday afternoon, the absences from the week prior are
imported to Portal.
SAMS is not permitted to change/add past absences beyond the current week.
***FYI, BASD is under the JOHNSTOWN base area in the Kelly system.
2. What do I do if the district has a delay, dismissal or closing?
*For Support Staff, click on Support Inclement Weather Guideline 18-19.
*For Professional/Administrators, click on Prof/Admin Inclement Weather Guideline 18-19.
3. How do hourly employees use the electronic timesheets?
Electronic Timesheet Instructions on how to clock in and out as well as view your electronic timesheet.
4. I recently moved or plan to move. How do I notify the district?
Complete the LOCAL RESIDENCY FORM and send to Payroll.
This form updates PSERS, Payroll, Employee Portal and Capital Blue Cross.
5. My name changed. How do I make the change with the district?
The following forms are required to update name changes in our system:
*Copy of the marriage license or court document showing the name change
*Copy of new social security card
Professional Staff - Teaching certificates must reflect your legal name.
Please send an updated certificate to Human Resources.
6. I recently had a child or adopted a child. What do I need to update with the district?
For those with district health insurance, children are automatically added to the policy for the
first 30 days following the birth or the adoption date. To permanently add to your policy,
complete a Capital Blue Enrollment/Change Form and send to Human Resources.
7. I need to make changes to my insurance coverage. How do I do that?
*For Medical, Rx, Vision and Dental, complete a Capital Blue Enrollment/Change Form with
your changes. Additions and deletions are done via the same form. Be sure to select "Add" or
"Remove" and enter the effective date in the upper right section of the form. If removal from
coverage, be sure to note the reason for removal. Please send to Human Resources.
*For Life Insurance, complete a new Life Beneficiary Change Form and send to Human
Resources. This will replace the previous Beneficiary Form on file.
Register online with Capital Blue Cross and Express-Scripts to access your account history,
temporary ID cards and more! Follow the links below and "Register Now":
8. I need help with my benefits or had an insurance claim denied. What do I do?
Contact the Benefit Resource Center at 1-855-874-6699 or BRCEast@usi.com to be
connected with an employee advocate.
9. Where can I find my Clearance Dates the district has on file?
Sign into Employee Portal
Click on Employee Demographics.
(Clearance dates are shown to the right under your residency information)
Employee clearances are good for five (5) years.
10. What is the mileage rate?
$0.56 per mile through December 31, 2021.
11. What are the daily meal rates?
$40.00 per day.
12. Where do I find the form and who do I submit it to?
Complete the Expense Report form.
Expense Report (PDF)
Extended Mileage Report (PDF)
Submit form to Accounts Payable at the Central Office.
13. How do I get reimbursed?
Reimbursement is done via ACH, same as paychecks.
14. How do I convert from a Level I Certification to a Level II Certification?
Click on Conversion to Level II for step-by-step instructions on how to begin the Level II